I love this little device already, but it's a bitch to set up because of the language barrier + no clear English instructions oh how to get started.
I went through the trouble of finding the APKs and saving them online for future use so you don't have to. But if you're anything like me and don't trust random downloads, then here are the links to the official sources.
- signed_yicamera.apk v1.6.0 (20150512) / app.mi.com
- Xiaomi Home 小米智能家庭 v2.6.2_60146.apk / home.mi.com
Setting up the camera
Before starting, make sure the camera is OFF until needed.
- Download and install the "yicamera" APK onto your phone.
- Log in with your Xiaomi account (or one of the various other accounts supported). If you don't have one, sign up via the app or the "Register" button on http://en.miui.com.
- (optional) Update to the newer version of the app. At time of writing, I'm running v1.6.0 (20150512)
- Swipe right until you see an orange button on the bottom.
- Click on the top-right (+) button to add a camera
- "Power on camera, wait until orange light flashes" means turn on the camera and wait until the orange light flashes.
- Wait until the light was flashing orange, then pressed "Have heard the voice prompts" when you hear something in Chinese. If it flashes blue, reset the camera with a pin at the back. If you need help finding the reset button, click "Cannot hear the voice prompts".
- "Camera needs Wi-Fi to connect" is asking for a WiFi password that your camera should connect to.
- Enter it in and click next.
- The app will scan and do stuff while the camera talks to you in Chinese.
- Once you're on WiFi, the blue light will stop flashing.
- Let it keep scanning. Once the camera is detected, click "Connect".
- You should now be able to use your IP camera!
"Binding timeout, please reset" error? Update your firmware
If you get "binding timeout please reset" error then you'll need to update the firmware on the camera itself.
You can do this by using the Xiaomi Home app. The Android version isn't in English (for Android), but below are some intructions on how to get by.
- Start it and leave it ticked, click the button on the right.
- Click on the (+) button on the top-right to add a device.
- Click on the second one (which should look like a webcam, or Wheatley from Portal)
- Click the button on the right.
- Enter in your Xiaomi account details.
- Click on the little thing on the right of the camera icon (if there is one).
- When it's gone, you can click on the camera item and you should be able to see out of it.
As seen from the Xiaomi Home app
- Ensure you have a micro-SD card slotted into the back of the camera.
- Click on the 3 dots on the top-right and select the third menu item.
- Tell it to download the new firmware by pressing the green button. It'll download for a moment, but it's quick.
- Press the green button again so the camera installs the new firmware. It'll automatically restart and blink orange, go solid orange and then blink blue.
- Reset the camera with a pin and go through the setup process again.
You should now be able to access it without any problems. Here's what it should look like from the Xiaomi Yi Camera app.
- 小蚁官网 － 小蚁科技官网 (Xiaomi Yi Small Ant homepage)
- Small Ants Intelligent Camera (English Translation + Guide) - Honorbuy forum that provided basic guide
- Xiaoyi Ant connected but network error - Mi Gadgets - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum
- Small Ants Camera Setup Error: "binding timeout please reset" - Mi Gadgets - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum
- 小蚁摄像机-小米应用商店 - Xiaomi Yi Camera app on Mi App Store
- 小米智能家庭 - Xiaomi Home homepage