Windows: Uninstall "Get Windows 10" notification tray icon


It's nice that Microsoft has gone out of it's way to promote their new operating system, but I would have greatly appreciated a "don't remind me again" option.

Right clicking it didn't show anything useful either.


After checking "Windows Update" history for recent updates, lo and behold I found KB3035583 "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1", which is a sneaky way of saying advertisement.

How to get rid of it?

  • In Windows Update, click on "Installed Updates".


  • Sort it by date and find KB3035583 under "Microsoft Windows".


  • Select it and click uninstall.
  • Click yes to confirm.
  • Once it's done, reboot for it to take effect.

Next time Microsoft, please don't surprise me in the wrong way.

Setting up Xiaomi Yi Small Ants Intelligent Camera (Home IP Camera)


I love this little device already, but it's a bitch to set up because of the language barrier + no clear English instructions oh how to get started.

For those wondering it's this device on the left, not the Xiaomi Yi Go-Pro style camera on the right.     


I went through the trouble of finding the APKs and saving them online for future use so you don't have to. But if you're anything like me and don't trust random downloads, then here are the links to the official sources.

Setting up the camera

Before starting, make sure the camera is OFF until needed.

  • Download and install the "yicamera" APK onto your phone.
  • Log in with your Xiaomi account (or one of the various other accounts supported). If you don't have one, sign up via the app or the "Register" button on
  • (optional) Update to the newer version of the app. At time of writing, I'm running v1.6.0 (20150512)
  • Swipe right until you see an orange button on the bottom.


  • Click on the top-right (+) button to add a camera
  • "Power on camera, wait until orange light flashes" means turn on the camera and wait until the orange light flashes.
  • Wait until the light was flashing orange, then pressed "Have heard the voice prompts" when you hear something in Chinese. If it flashes blue, reset the camera with a pin at the back. If you need help finding the reset button, click "Cannot hear the voice prompts".
  • "Camera needs Wi-Fi to connect" is asking for a WiFi password that your camera should connect to.
  • Enter it in and click next.
  • The app will scan and do stuff while the camera talks to you in Chinese.
  • Once you're on WiFi, the blue light will stop flashing.
  • Let it keep scanning. Once the camera is detected, click "Connect".


  • You should now be able to use your IP camera!

... for all sorts of security monitoring!

"Binding timeout, please reset" error? Update your firmware

If you get "binding timeout please reset" error then you'll need to update the firmware on the camera itself.

You can do this by using the Xiaomi Home app. The Android version isn't in English (for Android), but below are some intructions on how to get by.

  • Start it and leave it ticked, click the button on the right.
  • Click on the (+) button on the top-right to add a device.
  • Click on the second one (which should look like a webcam, or Wheatley from Portal)


  • Click the button on the right.
  • Enter in your Xiaomi account details.
  • Click on the little thing on the right of the camera icon (if there is one).
  • When it's gone, you can click on the camera item and you should be able to see out of it.

As seen from the Xiaomi Home app

  • Ensure you have a micro-SD card slotted into the back of the camera.
  • Click on the 3 dots on the top-right and select the third menu item.


  • Tell it to download the new firmware by pressing the green button. It'll download for a moment, but it's quick.
  • Press the green button again so the camera installs the new firmware. It'll automatically restart and blink orange, go solid orange and then blink blue.
  • Reset the camera with a pin and go through the setup process again.

You should now be able to access it without any problems. Here's what it should look like from the Xiaomi Yi Camera app.

Screenshot_2015-05-21-19-46-21  Screenshot_2015-05-21-19-43-16


Copyright © Twig's Tech Tips
Theme by BloggerThemes & TopWPThemes Sponsored by iBlogtoBlog