DetailsFor alot of people, the start menu will display a list of recently used programs. Its a pretty handy feature to have, but its not for all of us.
Note: This will also remove recently used files from your jumplists.
Now there is a horrible side effect to this option, theres nothing in the start menu when you first show it.
SpasmYou've probably noticed it already, which is why you're here.
I've written a small program that displays all your Start Menu items automatically. Nothing spectacular, it just removes a small annoyance.
The program is called Spasm (Show Programs Automatically in Start Menu). I'll upload the app once its been polished a bit and I find an icon for it.
- Simply run the file for it to take effect.
- Close Spasm to stop it.
- Run with the argument "--no-icon" to disable the tray icon.
WTF Why Bother?Some people may be wondering this and by all means its a good question! I've seen the issue being asked a few times on the forums so I suppose that's where I got the idea from.
The empty menu does annoy me a small bit, but I normally type in what I'm after anyway.
I guess it was also out of nerdy curiosity, a self set challenge to see if I could or not without any help. And I did :)
It probably won't work in any language other than English.
- Checks the recently used list to see if its empty before displaying the full Start Menu items.
- Doesn't do much of anything else.
- Added argument "--no-icon" support to hide the tray icon.
- Added a timer to detect refreshed shell.
- Added icon to "already running" message.
- Rewrote how system information is shared between EXE and DLL files.
- Now detects if Spasm is already running.
- Only unload hooks if the DLL is being unloaded from Explorer.
- Hopefully prevented the issue with Spasm losing grip on Explorer's handle.
- Adds icon back to taskbar when Explorer crashes.
- Now works if used on startup!
- Fixed x86 version so it works (Thanks Andrey and Patrick Timms for the heads up)
- Added double click to show about
- Now works with any language.
- Fixed x86 DLL function name mangling.
- Added build version to executable.
- Initial release.