Alright I'll say it straight, I'm going to assume you're handy with unzipping files, copying and moving stuff around and generally competent with navigating through your computer/ps3. Otherwise, this guide probably isn't for you.
Grab the files from the Rogero CFW thread. You'll need:
- multiMAN ver 04.30.00 BASE (20130324).zip
- toggle_qa.pkg (from Rebug)
Another early note, you need multiMAN 04.30.00. Older multiMAN versions won't work on CFW4.40 so feel free to update it before you install the 4.40 CFW.
Also, take out any discs in your console! Reason is the PS3 will check the disc for firmware before checking the USB drive. You don't want to accidentally upgrade to official firmware now, do you? ;)
In case you're wondering, this is the CEX firmware (consumer firmware), not the DEX version which has more debugging features.
Copy the files across to:
USB://PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP (renamed Rogero_CEX4.40_V1.03.PUP)
Yep you read that right, it's UPDAT (missing E, not a typo!)
Some optional things to do while downloading/preparing files.
- (optional) Update multiMAN. I did this as a precaution, since I use multiMAN for most things
- (optional) Back up your PS3 data
- (optional) While that's happening, make sure your CFW PUP isn't corrupted. MD5 dat file.
- If you've downgraded to 3.55 from a higher firmware, you should run the QA flag thing.
Enabling QA flags
So QA flag first, just in case. I'm not gonna pretend I know exactly what happens there, but it's more of a safety thing and highly recommended by Rogero in the release thread.
- Using "Install package files", run "toggle_qa.pkg" from your USB drive.
- Once it's done, run Toggle QA from the menu.
- Your PS3 should beep and reboot (if not, try again)
- Go to Network Settings and press L1+L2+L3+R1+R2+Down (all at the same time)
- If Edy Viewer & view/debug settings appear, it worked.
Updating to Rogero 4.40
Just to be safe, disable your network connectivity so the PS3 is completely offline.
Now, onto the fun part! Open up:
- System update
- Update via storage media
- If you see "Version 4.40-Rog v1.03" then you're in business!
If not... it's not safe to carry on. Check if you've missed a previous step.
- X/OK to continue
- Right > Accept > Start
- Patience is a virtue so let it do it's thing.
- When it finally starts up, it should have the ROGERO logo on the boot screen.
Viola! You are now on 4.40 CFW with PSN access! To make sure, check via "System Settings > System information" menu to make sure.
Fire up multiMAN and blast away at your favourite game.
If all is well, you're now on 4.40 and survived!
If you're getting the "Your installation of multiMAN is incomplete! lease install BASE of FULL version!" error after updating, grab a copy of multiMAN from the Rogero 4.40 thread. Make sure to download the BASE version and install the CEX pkg.
Alternatively, this method takes longer but at least it's easier:
- Load multiMAN
- scroll down to "multiMAN 04.30.00 BASE (or whatever's latest)
Now, this solution works but you'll run into some common errors that others have run into.
Apparently the way people were using to downgrade games to 3.55 was "wrong". You'll need a package resigner in order to get them to install and run properly on 4.30 and 4.40.
The previous guide on KMEAW was finicky and tricky for the average user. This method is far easier so I highly recommend it.
When the file transfers were going at 140kb/s, I was annoyed to say least. Seriously, I spent some extra time to make sure everything was gigabit ready.
To my delight, it wasn't my fault =)
There are lots of dodgy fixes for this on the internet. Try mine first, it's least likely to break anything on your computer.
I've updated the tutorial so it points to 4.40 v1.03 (rather than 1.02b).
Updated note about Rogero_CEX4.40_V1.03.PUP being PS3UPDAT.PUP.
- Everything You Need To Know To Install 4.30 CFW (From 3.55 CFW)
- Toggle QA | Codename: REBUG
- Tortuga Cove - Rogero CEX-4.30 v2.05 with Original "*Install Package Files" and Updated [app_home] IPF -> ToolBox (No more Restart)
- PS3 4.21/4.30/4.xx CFW User Guide - Read Before Attempting Anything And Bookmark - PS3Hax Network - Playstation 3 Hacks and Mods
- Tortuga Cove - Rogero CEX-4.40 v1.02
- [How To] Check MD5 sums - xda-developers
- PlayStation®3 PC System Software Update Method - PlayStation®
- How to Enable QA Flag (Toggle QA) [PS3] - YouTube