The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed.

18 comments

While repairing a Windows XP installation on my friend's computer, it ran into a strange problem.

"Files Needed"
The file 'Asms' on Windows XP Professional CD-ROM is needed. Type the path where the file is located, and then click OK.

GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386

Solution A:

The tricks from Microsoft's KB didn't work for me, but it may for you. The instructions are fairly straight forward, but heres a translation to make things a bit simpler.

Note: Only use this if you're using NTFS for your partition. Otherwise, see the linked KB above.

  • When the dialog appears, press "Shift + F10".
  • Type in "regedit" and press enter.
  • Select "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE"
  • Click "File"
  • "Load Hive"
  • Type in "%Windir%\System32\Config\System.sav"
  • Enter "Test"
  • Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test\ControlSet1\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
  • Delete any items in the right panel called "UPPERFILTERS" or "LOWERFILTERS"
  • Now go back to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Test" and see if there are any other "ControlSet####" keys.
  • Drill into "Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}" for that keys and delete any "UPPERFILTERS" or "LOWERFILTERS" items. Repeat for all "ControlSet####" keys.
  • Close the Registry Editor.
  • Try clicking OK on the setup error to continue.
  • If it doesn't work, cancel and try restarting to resume the setup.

That seems to be the solution that works for most people. For me, I used Solution B.

Solution B:

This is the one that worked for me. The majority of user advice seemed to stem from the fact that the DVD/CD drive not being loaded properly. I kinda winged it using an educated guess.

  • Press "Shift + F10"
  • Type in "sysdm.cpl" and press enter
  • Go to "Hardware" tab
  • Click "Device Manager"
  • If the items under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" have a little yellow exclamation mark on them, right-click on it and select "Update driver"
  • Select "No, not this time"
  • Select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)"
  • Select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"
  • Select the first generic "CD Rom Drive" driver.
  • Finish the setup and it should load up your DVD drives.
  • Now, continue with the Windows XP repair by replacing "GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386" with "X:\I386"
  • Copy this into clipboard, you'll need it. (Yes, clipboard works even during setup! How awesome! Eat that crApple iPhone!)
  • Whenever the next popup appears, paste and press enter. You'll need to do this alot of times throughout the setup.

Solution C:

Try some of the solutions suggested here.

Some people claim that ejecting the CD and then putting it back in works. Others claim a full power cycle of your computer (turning it off for a while and unplugging the power) will work.

To be honest, I found that a clean install proved to be much better than a repair. It seemed to cause more trouble in the long run.

Sources

18 comments:

  1. I had the same problem, nothing helped, regedit is unknown command, etc.

    However, I noticed that during the initial installation my cd drive became quite warm, so I kept it open for ten minutes to let it cool down. Then, trying to let the installation look for the file again from e:/i386 - and it was found! Must have just been a heat problem with the cd-drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Twig,

    Its a great and superb work, its working fine.

    Thanks
    Bharath P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! This article helped me. Btw I couldnt run regedit, neither device manager. I found my installation folder through command prompt (in my case it was from usb, disk D:) and replaced path in dialog...
    And thanks for copy paste tip! It was really helpfull. :)
    Greetings from Serbia!
    Ivica.
    PS: Sorry for bad english.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems Ivica!

      Don't worry, your English from Serbia is pretty good, much better English than the comments I see on YouTube =)

      Delete
  4. the 1rst option does not work for me.... the 2nd option only work to Click "Device Manager" and after that nothing comes up it say error so What the hell I suspostu do???? any idea????please let me know..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "it say error"
      What error?

      You might have a bad installation, try downloading it and check the file hash (MD5 or SHA1)

      Delete
  5. i try everything as the links show above but I still have the same problem so I dont know what the f... I supposed to do!!! i type in cmd regedit and regedit.exe does not work I copy this file 1386 it does not work too... so and idea??? but not stupid idea!!! please let me know. cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same damn problem...I wasted a day and couldn't find a way to solve it...the next day I tried one last time and it didn't show the message again,it solved it's self.... i dont know how but now it works....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the fine work! Solution B was perfect for solving my issue. Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to those hints stated. My problem solved by just eject the CD/DVD drive for a 2 seconds and push back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To get this problem fixed I shut the laptop off and the external CD-ROM after I had this error. Waited 5 seconds and powered the CD ROM up first and than the laptop. The computer found drive and the installed started and completed. I hope this helps. It looks like Windows losses track of the drive. This was on a Dell XP re-install DISK SP3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have the same problem, all you need to do (if u facing this error on a mini notebook with external cd rom) is to disable the SD Card on Bios.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanx i didn't fix my problem but i learn a lot.Obrigado Twig-i will buy u beer next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problems, I learned a little Portuguese in return!
      Obrigado ROCK ;)

      Delete
  12. Ok none of the above worked for me - it seems that on restarting for the second part of the install my pc couldnt see GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM as the optical drive, so for each dll or inf file it prompted for i just changed the above to D:\

    simples :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got the same problem with installing windows xp from bootable USB. My solution is making a new bootable windows with intagrated drivers using Nlite and installing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts ...
---
If you are having trouble with copy/pasting in comments, you need to sign in or click 'Preview'. For more information about this Firefox bug, see here.

 
Copyright © Twig's Tech Tips
Theme by BloggerThemes & TopWPThemes Sponsored by iBlogtoBlog