PS3 updates are quite large and may take a while to download.
To speed up the process a bit, you can optionally install them via USB.
- Make sure your USB is in FAT32 format.
- In the USB drive, create a folder called "PS3".
- In that new PS3 folder, create another called "UPDATE".
- Copy the system update "PS3UPDAT.PUP" file to the UPDATE folder.
The structure should now look like this.
- Insert the USB into your PS3.
- In the XMB, go across to the left and find "Settings".
- Near the top, select "System Update"
- Select "Install via storage media"
- Follow the prompts through.
If you want to make sure if it worked properly, go to "Settings" > "System Settings" > "System Information".