A long time ago I requested to be friends with someone... well, that I now don't want to be friends with. I totally forgot about it until I saw their profile appear on the suggested friends list.
Annoyingly, Facebook doesn't really have a place to let you cancel it anymore.
Luckily, after some poking around and experimenting I found a way to do it.
- Open up your Privacy settings page under Accounts.
- Scroll to the bottom and find the "Block lists" option
- In there, enter in either the name or email of the person you want to cancel.
- Block them.
- Now remove them from the block list.
- View their profile.
- It should now give you the option of "Add as friends".