Getting started with a new language can be a bit difficult, but it can be alot less frustrating with the right development environment helping you along the way with little trips here and there.
At time of writing, I have set this up with
- Eclipse v3.5 (162mb)
- Python v2.6.2 (13.8mb)
To install, download the required files listed above. Then
- Install Python (anywhere)
- Download and unzip Eclipse into a folder of your liking
- Create a "workspace" directory for your python projects
- Run Eclipse and select your workspace folder.
- Click on "Help" > "Install New Software..."
- Click "Add" and type "PyDev" for the name, using http://pydev.sourceforge.net/updates as the location.
- Expand and select "Pydev".
- Click through to finish.
- Restart when prompted.
- Select "Window" > "Preferences"
- Expand "Pydev" and select "Interpreter - Python"
- Click "New" and give it a name.
- Select "python.exe" from your Python install path.
- Click OK and accept the defaults.
- Save the preferences and now you're ready to go!